- 2 pounds U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1 large egg
- 12 tablespoons (about) olive oil (for frying)
- Line large baking sheet with plastic wrap. Coarsely grind fish in processor. Add next 8 ingredients; blend well. Add matzo meal and egg; process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. With moistened hands and using 1 generous tablespoon for each cake, shape mixture into patties about 1-3/4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick; arrange on sheet.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Fry fish cakes in batches until brown and cooked through, adding more oil to skillet by tablespoonfuls as needed, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer cakes to unlined baking sheet. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover with foil and keep refrigerated. Rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven about 10 minutes.)
- Arrange fish cakes on plates. Spoon aioli alongside and serve.
Notes: Makes 40 servings.