- 2 cups white cornmeal
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- Peanut oil for deep frying
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coursely ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare the catfish, place cornmeal in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Dredge catfish strips in cornmeal mixture, shaking off the excess. Set aside on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Pour 2 inches of peanut oil into a deep fryer or large, heavy skillet and heat to 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Add catfish strips to hot oil, three at a time, and fry in a single layer for 5 minutes, turning to cook evenly, until golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Prepare dipping sauce 1 minute before serving catfish fingers. Mix vinegar, salt, pepper, shallot, garlic, green onions and parsley in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.