4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
¼ cup cornstarch
Oil for frying
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced ginger
½ teaspoon red chili flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
Rice (for serving)
- Toss catfish with ¼ cup cornstarch and set aside.
- Add oil to a medium-size pan and heat to 380°F.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, soy, hoisin, water, sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- When oil is ready, carefully add catfish and fry until golden and crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In another saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add ginger, chili flakes and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add vinegar mixture and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in cooked catfish and toss to coat. Garnish with sliced green onion and additional chili flakes. Serve with rice.
Yields: 4 servings