- 1 cup créme fraîche (see Note)
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 teaspoon` Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 6 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
- To prepare the horseradish cream, mix créme fraîche, horseradish, mustard, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let come to room temperature before serving.
- To prepare the smoked catfish, mix water, lemon juice, garlic, shallots, salt, sugar and dill in a small bowl. Place catfish fillets in a shallow dish and pour marinade over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours to marinate.
- Prepare charcoal for grilling and let fire burn until the coals are medium to low heat (250° to 300°F. on a barbecue thermometer or you can hold your hand palm down about 5 inches above coals for 5 seconds before removing it).
- Place catfish on an oiled grill rack over the coals. Cover grill and cook for 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Place fillets on serving plates and spoon horseradish cream over the top.
Créme fraîche is a slightly thick, tart cream that is available in some specialty food stores. To make it at home, place1 cup heavy cream and 2 teaspoons sour cream in a container with a tight fitting lid. Cover and shake to mix well. Let stand at room temperature overnight or until thickened. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.