- 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemon grass, or grated lemon zest, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced yellow onion
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili paste (optional; see Note)
- Place catfish in a shallow pan and sprinkle with oil and lemon grass or lemon zest. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Add hoisin sauce, water, vinegar and chili paste, if using. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until a creamy consistency. If sauce is too thick, add more water. Set aside.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Place fillets on an oiled grill rack or broiler pan rack. Grill or broil fillets about 4 inches from the heat source for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Place fillets on serving plates and spoon a little of the sauce on top. Sprinkle with green onions and peanuts and serve.
Notes: Hoisin sauce and chili paste are available at Asian markets.